Wow, I can barely believe it’s been so long since I last posted. I am so sorry!
Life, it seems, has run away with me. Or, more accurately, I let life take over and put work on hold for a little while.
I think there was a sudden realisation when Zayn got his school place a few weeks back: my boys are growing up. As much as I want to, I can’t freeze time, I can’t keep them little forever, and I felt suddenly overwhelmed at where the last five years have gone.
People tell you when you have kids that it’ll go fast, make the most of it, but you never truly believe it. You never really listen. It just seems to be one of those stock phrases, words you file under “for another time” in your brain.
Of course, it’s true – parenthood flies by! And it was realising this that made me take a step back. I want to enjoy my boys while they’re still young. I want to make the most of these halcyon days before Zayn ulls on his uniform for the first time, however hard it can seem sometimes!
That was a slightly rambling way of saying: I needed a little break, and I may still take breaks here and there. But, for now, I’m back with a new recipe! Did you miss me? I know I missed you…!
Anyway. These creamy, dreamy Chocolate Raspberry Ice Cream Lollies are the perfect way to come back to the blogosphere.
So fast, easy and yet so utterly delicious. They’re made using classic store cupboard ingredients, and can be whipped up in less than five minutes. My favourite kind of recipe!
As always, these beauties are dairy-free, vegan and also Paleo-friendly, and make a fantastic alternative to sugar-laden ice creams and lollies you find in shops.
I love creating my own ice cream using coconut milk or dairy-free yoghurt, and the result is always spectacular. However, I’m a chocolate lover at heart, and so these are the perfect, healthy Friday night treat!
I also made a discovery that adding agar agar or gelatine to dairy-free, lower sugar ice creams helps to make them creamier. There seems to be less ice crystals involved when made this way, which is always a good thing!
However, it’s not necessary to add it, so don’t feel the need to buy just for this recipe!
Vegan Chocolate Raspberry Ice Cream Lollies
- Makes 6 lollies –
- 1 cup cashew yoghurt (or dairy-free yoghurt of choice – I used Nush)
- 3 tbsp coconut cream
- 2-3 tbsp cacao OR Rejuvenated Chocolate Protein Smoothie
- 3 tbsp melted dark chocolate
- 2.5 – 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp The Good Guru Berry Blend (optional)
- 1.5 tsp agar agar or gelatine (optional, but helps to give a creamier, less icy “ice cream”!)
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 2 tbsp melted chocolate, to decorate
- Place all ingredients, apart from the raspberries, into a high-powered blender or processor and blitz until smooth. Taste and adjust the sweetness / chocolate flavour accordingly.
- Spoon into lolly moulds, leaving a small amount of space at the top, then drop in some raspberries (I used frozen), using the end of a spoon to push some down to the bottom of each lolly, to ensure you have raspberries throughout.
- Place in the freezer overnight to firm up, then remove around 10-15 minutes before eating. Drizzle with melted chocolate, if desired, and devour!