I wasn’t going to post this recipe, but then I added it to my Instagram stories, and I had so many messages asking for it! So, here it is.
I originally whipped up this delicious, chocolatey smoothie for my boys. It was on one of those manic mornings, where I was tidying up the kitchen (ready for the cleaner to come – does anyone else tidy before their cleaner arrives?!) and found that we had a tonne of overripe bananas in the fruit bowl. I hate food waste, so I was wondering how to use them up given that our freezer is broken (meaning nice cream wasn’t an option!).
Anyway, I asked Zayn and Leo what they’d like, and they immediately asked for a milkshake. “A chocolate milkshake, Mummy!” Zayn shouted. “CHOCOLATE!” said Leo. So, that was decided…
A Chocolate Milkshake, it was.
We already had some raspberry chia jam in the fridge, so I decided to add it in to create one delicious supershake – and, boy, am I glad I did! The sweetness of the jam worked so well with the chocolate shake, and both boys drank it in seconds.
Not one to miss out, I whipped my own up, adding in some vegan protein from my favourites at That Protein. Of course, the beauty of this recipe is that it’s so easy to adapt – you can add whatever you fancy. If you’re making it for breakfast, try adding in some oats, or more flax (just balance out with a splash more milk!). Or toss in a handful of spinach, too! It’s really up to you.
Let me know if you make it!
Chocolate, Peanut Butter & Jam Super Shake
- Serves 2
- 2 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 2 medium bananas
- Handful spinach (optional)
- 1 small ripe avocado
- 2.5 – 3 tbsp Lucy Bee cacao OR That Protein brown rice and cacao protein powder
- 2.5 tbsp flaxseed
- 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter (or more, to taste)
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted (optional – I find it sweet enough as it is)
- 1/4 cup raspberry chia jam (recipe here)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate melted with 1 tsp Lucy Bee coconut oil
- Dark chocolate squares, to serve
- Start by preparing your chia jam the day or night before.
- Once ready to make your shake, place the milk, bananas, avocado, nut butter, flaxseed, optional dates / spinach and cacao into a high-powered blender. Blitz, adding more milk if needed, until completely smooth. Taste and adjust sweetness or chocolate flavour as desired.
- Spoon the raspberry jam into the bottom of two glass jars or bottles, then pour over the shake. Drizzle over the melted chocolate, then stir to swirl slightly. Serve with dark chocolate squares and drink immediately.