If you’ve been reading my Instagram updates, then you’ll know that over the last few weeks, I was lucky enough to be asked to create six exclusive recipes for one of my favourite brands, Co-Yo (the UK version).
Some of them are savoury, some of them are seasonal…all of them are delicious! Anyway, I know that a few of you got a sneak peek on my Stories but, for the rest of you, I cannot wait to share them with you!
While I was brainstorming some ideas for Co-Yo (I actually wrote down 60 ideas…oops!), I wondered about a lighter, healthier way to recreate one of my favourite desserts.
When I was a kid, we would often have mousse for pudding – easy, simple, delicious! Of course, most mousses are laden with cream, but I wondered: could you simply replace the cream with thick, luscious coconut yoghurt?
Well…yes! And the result is this pretty spectacular Chocolate Orange Yoghurt Mousse.
This simple, decadent pud is everything you could ever want in a chocolate dessert. Light, fluffy, rich…all in all, a real dream.
It’s the perfect recipe to pull out for dinner parties, or simply to indulge in over the weekend. I mean, sometimes, a girl just needs her chocolate, right…?
While you could simply leave this mousse as it is, I chose to marry it up with fresh orange juice to create my all-time favourite combo: the chocolate orange dream team!
Chocolate orange is my ultimate flavour of choice and, although it may seem a little wintery (does it simply remind anyone else of Chocolate Oranges?), I think there’s always a time and place for this beauty…!
I know that some of you remain unconvinced, too, by the sue of chickpea brine, or aquafaba, so I have also tested this recipe using egg whites. Both work beautifully, so there is an option for both vegan and non-vegans!
Paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan-friendly Chocolate Orange Mousse…what more could you ask for?!
Chocolate Orange Yoghurt Mousse
- Serves 4
- 9 tbsp Co-Yo coconut yoghurt (approx 3/4 cup)
- 3 tbsp full-fat tinned coconut milk (the liquid, not the cream)
- Zest one orange
- Juice two oranges
- 3.5 tbsp maple syrup
- 150 – 170g good-quality dark chocolate (depending on how rich you like it)
- 6 tbsp (1/2 cup) aquafaba OR 3 egg whites
- Pinch salt
- Drop orange essence
- Co-Yo or whipped coconut cream, to serve
- Very very gently heat the Co-Yo, coconut milk, orange zest and juice and maple syrup. Just before it reaches a boil (you’ll start to see a few bubbles), remove from the heat and add the dark chocolate and salt and orange essence, if using. Leave to sit for a minute or so, then stir until silky smooth. Set aside to cool until it reaches room temperature.
- In the meantime, beat your aquafaba or egg whites until they form stiff peaks. This will take around ten minutes if you’re using aquafaba, so be patient – it will happen! Egg whites will take a few minutes.
- Once your whites are in peaks, fold in the cooled chocolate mixture, a quarter of a cup at a time. Fold until combined, being careful not to stir too much.
- Spoon into individual cups or ramekins, then chill overnight and served topped with more coconut yoghurt and grated orange zest, or whipped coconut cream.