Long-time readers will know that one of my favourite combinations is chocolate and hazelnut.
Well, chocolate and anything really, but there’s just something about chocolate and hazelnut that works like a dream.
For me, much of the food I love comes with a twist of nostalgia – lemon reminds me of the lemon meringue pies my mum used to make me as a kid, apple and blackberry crumble sends me reminiscing about blackberry picking with my nanna, while jam always makes me think about lazy Saturday morning sleepovers at my nanna’s house.
Food is all about nostalgia, about those childhood memories it evokes. So, perhaps it’s because of this that I’ll always love Nutella-like flavours! Or perhaps, more simply, it’s because it truly is delicious!
Whatever the reason, these Chocolate & Hazelnut Almond Tarts are the healthier, more nourishing version – in tart form! What could be better?
The rich, delicious chocolate filling is created using creamy avocados (one of my favourite ingredients right now!) and melted dark chocolate, along with a host of other incredible ingredients.
Star of the show is my new find: Mr Organic Chocolate Hazelnut Butter (it’s totally free-from). However, you can simply sub for hazelnut butter or even ground hazelnuts.
Anyway, these tarts are totally vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free…you name it. They’re also no-bake for those of you who just don’t quite have the patience. Hurrah!
Plus, they’re healthy enough to justify having for breakfast, right? Any excuse! 😉
Oh, and if Nutella isn’t your thing (why not?!), then you can still put this recipe to delicious use!
If you fancy having a shake-up with the filling, you can try mixing things up – using fresh mint for chocolate mint tarts, orange and orange zest, or even omitting the flavourings and spreading a layer of chia jam on the base. YUM!
Chocolate Hazelnut & Almond Tarts
- Makes 6 small tarts
- For the base –
- 1 1/2 cups almonds
- 1 cup oats
- 2-3 tbsp date syrup or brown rice syrup
- 2 tbsp Lucy Bee coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Pinch salt
- For the filling –
- 2 medium to large ripe avocados, pitted (I used Strong Roots frozen avocado)
- 170g dark chocolate – at least 80% cacao solids – finely chopped
- 2 heaped tbsp Lucy Bee coconut oil
- 4-5 tbsp chocolate hazelnut spread (I used Mr Organic Free-From Chocolate Spread) OR hazelnut butter OR ground hazelnuts
- 3 tbsp dairy-free milk of choice (almond, coconut or other)
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1-2 tbsp Rejuvenated Chocolate Protein Smoothie OR cacao
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Pinch salt
- Berries and coconut yoghurt to serve (optional)
- Start by making your base by blending together the almonds and oats until they form a fine flour. Tip into a bowl, then stir in the remaining ingredients, kneading with your hands, until it sticks together into a sort of dough. Press into the base of a springform tart tin (I used a 20cm tin). If it’s too dry, add a touch more coconut oil. Too sticky and some more oats will do! Place the tin in the fridge to firm up.
- Next, make your filling by melting together the chocolate and coconut oil in a bain marie, stirring until smooth.
- Place the avocados into a blender along with the milk, cacao, hazelnut butter, maple syrup, salt, vanilla and melted chocolate and blend until completely smooth, adding a splash more milk if needed and scraping down the sides as you go. Stop to taste and adjust the sweetness or hazelnut / chocolate flavourings (adding more cacao, if needed, or slightly more yoghurt if it’s too rich for your taste) as necessary.
- Spoon the smooth avocado filling over your base, then place back in the fridge to firm up, ideally overnight.
- Serve topped with fresh berries or even coconut yoghurt and enjoy!