As the beautiful sun starts to poke its head from behind the clouds, I automatically start craving ice cream. I’ve long had a thing for Magnum ice creams and, as a kid, I used adore Feasts and Fab lollies.
Of course, I’ve come a long way since I used to spend my summers on my bike, or lying in fields with friends. Since then, I also seem to be unable to tolerate large amounts of dairy, or sugar.
As you’ve probably guessed, I am a huge fan of cashews and their many, wondrous uses in vegan and healthier, raw recipes. Once they’ve been soaked and blended, cashews are like magic, and become deliciously creamy and rich. They’re also fairly neutral in flavour, so work really well as a base to take on stronger (or more subtle) flavourings.
My latest addiction is this Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream. Completely vegan and (almost) totally raw, this ice cream is creamy, sweet and dee-licious. Everything you could have hope to ask for from a tub of the good stuff.
To make this ice cream as decadent as possible, I stirred through some homemade vegan cookie and some dark chocolate chips. However, have a play with flavourings and additions and enjoy it!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- For the ice cream –
- 2 cups cashews, soaked 4-6 hours and drained
- 1.5 cups tinned coconut milk
- ¼ cup melted Lucy Bee coconut oil
- ¼ date syrup (or maple syrup)
- 2 tbsp Sukrin icing sugar (or sub for stevia)
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- For the cookie –
- ¼ cup hazelnut meal
- ¼ cup cacao
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tbsp Lucy Bee coconut oil, melted
- 1.5 tbsp coconut milk
- Pinch salt
- For the raw chocolate sauce –
- 2 tbsp Lucy Bee coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp cacao
- 1.5 tbsp maple syrup
- Start by making your cookie crumble. Preheat the oven to 170C, then combine all ingredients until smooth. Spoon over a baking tray in one big, thinnish circle (0.5cm thickness) and bake for six minutes. Set aside to cool and firm.
- Tip your cashews into a high-powered blender (I used a Vitamix) with half of the milk and blend until frothy and smooth. Add the remaining milk along with the date syrup, sweetener and vanilla and process until combined. Tastes and adjust the flavours or sweeteners, as needed, then crumble in the cookie and toss in the dark chocolate chips, stirring until combined.
- Churn in an ice cream machine according to your instructions, until chilled. Spoon into a freezer-safe container, then cover and freeze until firm (preferably overnight).
- Alternatively – if you don’t have a machine – pour into a freezer-safe container and freeze. Stir the ice cream every half an hour to churn (this means the ice crystals form evenly) until firm. Store in the freezer for up to a week.