I think I have probably mentioned before (many, many times!) that mornings in my house are often a little chaotic.
Trying to get two fairly lazy boys and one high-maintenance, demanding diva of a boy (you know, the kind who gets angry because he doesn’t want to wear dinosaurs on his t-shirt today) out of the house on time can often prove a nightmare.
This is why I always try to have breakfasts made ahead of time – it just makes life so much easier and more chilled first thing in the morning! After all, who really wants to start their day by screeching at the top of their voice?!
Recently I’ve been making a real effort to expand the boys’ diets and to get new foods into their tums (the idea is to boost their gut health before winter hits us!). This Chocolate Banana & Tahini Granola was made as a switch from their usual staple food of peanut butter.
Plus, of course, it is good for those who have nut allergies, or who simply can’t tolerate nuts!
For me, chocolate and tahini – especially when teamed with salt and sweet, ripe banana – is such a dreamy, delicious combination. It just works. And all the better for being baked into crisp, chunky granola.
Anyway, it’s the perfect breakfast to make in huge batches ready for the week ahead – I always make mine on a mammoth Sunday prep mission!
I then simply add dollops of Co-Yo in the morning, along with fresh fruit and berries, or splashes of plant milk. Or, if you’re anything like me, grab it by the handful and eat as a snack! Homemade granola is too irresistible, don’t you think…?
Chocolate & Banana Tahini Granola
- Creates one large batch
- For the dry ingredients –
- 3 cups oats
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped – I used almonds (use more seeds for nut-free)
- 1/4 cup seeds
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 5 tbsp cacao
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- For the wet –
- One large, ripe banana (can also sub for apple puree, sweet potato or even pumpkin)
- 5 tbsp tahini
- 4-5 tbsp brown rice syrup / coconut honey / honey (or more to taste)
- 2 tbsp cacao paste (or coconut oil)
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 tsp brewed espresso coffee (optional)
- To serve –
- 150g dark chocolate, cut into chunks
Start by preheating your oven to 170C, then line two baking trays with baking paper.
Quickly pulse together all dry ingredients in a blender or processor until combined and slightly broken down. Place into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Next, melt together your tahini and cacao paste until smooth. Stir in the vanilla, coffee and brown rice syrup. Pour into the blender, along with the banana, then blitz completely smooth.
Stir the wet ingredients into the mixing bowl and combine with your dry ingredients until the mixture is sticking together. Form some bits into clumps with your hands, if desired, then spread onto the prepared baking trays.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes, or until golden, stirring 10 minutes through baking. Turn the oven off completely and allow your granola to cool in the oven, door open.
- Once cool, stir through dark chocolate chunks. Store in airtight containers until ready to serve – you could use coconut yoghurt, milk of choice or simply eat by the handful as a snack!