Now that December is here, it seems that there’s no stopping me with Christmas recipes!
Each day, I’m dreaming up new ones (finding time to create them all is another matter entirely!), and munching on experiments and creations.
At the moment, I’m also drinking endless mugs of hot chocolate. I don’t know about you, but I struggle with water intake at this time of year as I always want something warm to hold between my hands. Something rich and comforting and delicious.
Anyway, this isn’t just any hot chocolate. This Chai-Spiced Hot Chocolate is one of the most sumptuous, rich and decadent hot chocolates imaginable – and it’s vegan, full of good fats, and free from refined sugars, too! Win, win.
I love the spices in this recipe, although you can add whatever flavourings you fancy. I’m just a sucker for cinnamon!
You can also top it however you like – with marshmallows, whipped cream, melted chocolate, chocolate sauce. Whatever takes your fancy. The world is your oyster!
However, since I am an utter coconut cream addict, this is always the way for me…
How do you like your hot chocolate?
Chai-Spiced Hot Chocolate With Whipped Coconut Cream
- Serves 2
- 2 cups milk of choice (I recommend tigernut milk or coconut milk)
- 80g dark chocolate, 85% cacao solids or above, chopped into small chunks
- 1.5 tsp – 1 tbsp Lucy Bee cacao
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar or maple syrup (or more, if you like it sweeter)
- 1/4 tsp – 1/2 tsp (to taste) of this DIY chai spice OR steep one or two chai tea bags in warm milk for 10 minutes or so, depending on how strong you like your flavour to be
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Pinch salt
- Whipped coconut cream to serve (recipe here)
- Grated dark chocolate, to serve
- Gently heat your milk in a saucepan, allowing it not to boil. Remove from the heat, then add in the dark chocolate and stir until melted and smooth (pop it back on the heat and stir often if it won’t melt immediately!)
- Stir in your sweetener, spices, vanilla, cacao and salt, then place in a blender and whizz smooth. Stop and taste and adjust cacao or sweetness, as desired.
- Pour into mugs, then top with whipped coconut cream, grated chocolate and enjoy!