WAHOOO it’s the weekend!!
This week has flown by, and I am so happy that we are creeping ever closer to February (which means spring is in sight – hurrah!). Already the days are starting to get lighter and brighter, although the temperature definitely hasn’t got the memo…
The last few days have been beautifully sunny and bright, but FREEZING. Really, really cold. Which means all I’ve wanted to do after the school run is huddle under a blanket with a hot bowl of porridge.
Lately, I’ve been giving my porridge a little twist (I’ve pimped it, if you like!) with caramelised pears and toasted hazelnuts. A really simple combo, but it makes your every day breakfast that bit more interesting!
You could say I have an obsession with caramelised fruits right now (have you tried my Caramelised Apple Chia Pudding With Ginger Crumble yet?) – and you’d be right!
They just seem like such a treat in the morning! Anyway, these pears are caramelised in vegan butter (although you can easily use coconut oil!) and a sprinkle of coconut sugar, and add a really delicious flavour to every day oats.
When pared with fresh vanilla bean and some toasted hazelnuts, it freshens up winter porridge a real treat! And, I promise, it will leave you smiling, no matter how cold or what the weather outside.
Well, unless it starts hailing again. Then nothing will make me smile…
What are your go-to breakfasts during the winter? Are you a porridge lover too, or do you brave it and dish up something cold?
Caramelised Pears With Vanilla Porridge & Hazelnuts
- Serves 1-2
- For the caramelised pears –
- 2 large pears, one cut in half and the other cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1.5 – 2 tbsp coconut sugar (I used Coconut Merchant)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- For the porridge –
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Seeds one vanilla bean, sliced
- 2 tbsp cashew butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Pinch salt
- Large handful lightly toasted hazelnuts, to serve
- Start by making your caramelised pears. Gently melt your butter or coconut oil in a pan over a medium heat. When it melts and starts to bubble gently, add in the sugar and cook until dissolved (a couple of minutes.)
- Spoon in your pears and heat, stirring every so often or flipping your pear halves after a few minutes, until they are caramelised and pears are becoming juicy. Set aside and allow to cool.
- To make your porridge, place the coconut milk in a saucepan and simmer over a medium-high heat. Add in your oats, maple syrup and salt and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and add in the vanilla and cashew butter. Cook, stirring often until the porridge thickens, adding the water if needed. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
Pour the porridge into bowls, and top with your pears, hazelnuts and other fruit, if desired. Eat immediately.