How are you feeling right now?
For me, the last few weeks have come in rolling, crashing waves of happiness, anxiety, restlessness, fear and love.
Every day the mood seems to be different, despite my best efforts to try and stay grounded. I also often feel overwhelmed when I leave the house – I can feel everyone else’s fear weighing on me.
It is definitely not the easiest time to be an empath!
Anyway, going hand-in-hand with this are plenty of vivid dreams and sleep disturbances. So, I’ve started making myself this Calming Moon Milk to help soothe my mind and quell any anxiety before I hit my pillow.
In this vegan moon milk recipe, each of the ingredients are designed to soothe and calm, leaving you ready for sleep.
Oat milk – oats contain tryptophan, which is a sleep-aiding amino acid. Oats are also known to keep feeling you full, so this will keep your tummy happy ’til morning!
Cinnamon -an ancient sleep remedy (particularly in Ayurvedic medicine), cinnamon can help you to relax and ease stress. It’s also good for your digestive system.
Nutmeg – Again, used in ancient medicine to help induce sleep and boost sleep quality.
Vanilla – Can induce sedative-like effects in the body and can reduce restlessness.
Ashwagandha – Helps to ease the impact of stress on the body and is another traditional remedy for aiding sleep.
Rose petals – calm and soothe the mind, while the fragrance can have an almost hypnotic effect!
What have you been doing to help your body unwind lately?
Calming Moon Milk
- Serves 1 –
- 1 cup oat milk (I used the brand Moma)
- 1 large cinnamon stick (can also use ground cinnamon to taste – approx 1/4 tsp to 1/2)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 ashwagandha capsule, contents removed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- Pink pitaya powder to colour (optional – I used Super U)
- Edible rose petals to top
- In a saucepan set to a low to medium heat, gently heat the oat milk with the cinnamon stick until heated through / desired drinking temperature. Remove cinnamon stick, then place in a blender with remaining ingredients. Serve warm topped with edible rose petals.