One of my favourite fruits in the world is vibrant, juicy blood orange.
Every year, the second they come into season, I rush online and order three or four bagfuls. Everything about them makes me so happy – the taste, the sunset of colours, the endless creations you can make with them!
Anyway, I realised that my blog is missing some simple, every day recipes. Can you believe that, despite eating endless oat breakfasts, I barely have any recipes for overnight oats on here (one of the boys’ favourites)?! Hopefully this will remedy that…
These Blood Orange, Coconut & Almond Overnight Oats are a vibrant, flavoursome twist on basic overnight oats.
They’re still incredibly simple to make – they just involve one mixing bowl, leaving in the fridge overnight, and you’re done! – but they are creamy, full of flavour, and passed that hardest taste test of them all: kids.
It’s easy to see why, too! Although vegan friendly (I used coconut yoghurt to make these and cashew milk), they are bursting with beautiful, zesty citrusy flavours, which are perfect for waking you up first thing! Plus, it’s always good getting some vitamin C and OJ in on a wintery morning, right?
Since almond and citrus are one of my favourite pairings, I also combined the two in these oats.
To add a dose of healthy fats, I switched out some of the oats and used ground almonds instead. I also topped with hemp seeds, pistachios (purely for that gorgeous colour against the orange and red!), dark chocolate and omega and protein-rich chia seeds.
All in all, a pretty nourishing breakfast, don’t you think?
These oats are utterly delicious, and the perfect way to make the most of that short (but sweet) blood orange season!
I hope you enjoy,
Blood Orange, Almond & Coconut Overnight Oats
- Serves 4 –
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 1/2 cups freshly-squeezed blood orange juice
- 1 cup cashew milk (plus more, if needed)
- 1 1/2 cups dairy-free yoghurt (I use Nush cashew yoghurt or Co-Yo coconut yoghurt)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or raw honey (optional – I omit)
- 1.5 tsp vanilla paste
- Pinch salt
- To top –
- Blood orange slices, chocolate chunks, pistachios, blood orange juice, hemp seeds, poppy seeds
- Stir together your dry ingredients. Whisk in your liquid ingredients – the juice, milk, yoghurt, vanilla and maple syrup, if using. Mix well to completely combine, adding in more yoghurt or milk if you want a creamier, looser mixture, or more oats for a thicker mixture. Cover and place in the fridge overnight.
- Once ready to serve, spoon into bowls, then scatter over chosen toppings. Eat cold and enjoy!