Another blackberry post…
I told you to be prepared!
And, I promise you, there will be plenty more to come. I have more blackberries than I know what to do with (so far, we have picked six MIXING BOWLS worth of berries from the garden!), so any recipe requests…do let me know!
In the meantime, for anyone else who has an abundance of beautiful summer berries, I thought I’d write up this super simple recipe for Blackberry & Vanilla Chia Jam.
Just last week, I realised that, although I make huge batches of chia jam on an almost weekly basis (my boys are all peanut butter and jam fiends!), I don’t have a recipe on my site for it.
So, for anyone who fancies a go at chia jam, here it is! My basic jam recipe.
This is one of the simplest recipes you could ever hope to try, and is ideal for anyone who is pressed for time. Since you can easily use frozen berries, it really is a store cupboard recipe. Super easy and super cheap, too, with minimal of fuss!
I love this jam on so many things – spread on luscious crumble squares, slathered on slices of toast (preferably with drizzles of homemade PB), on top of creamy porridge, or even stirred into raw chocolate (YUM!). There are so many ways you can adapt the recipe, that I promise you won’t grow tired of it.
If you’re yet to try chia jam, too, then trust me on the miracle of those amazing chia seeds. High in protein and rich in omega-3s, these little wonders are fantastic at thickening up the jam and making it beautifully spreadable.
I love the combination of blackberry and vanilla – especially with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice! I also added some sweetener in the form of maple syrup (you could use jam sugar, though, if you don’t mind having refined sugars!) but, if you want to keep things sugar-free, you can even omit the sue of maple syrup, too, and simply up the lemon juice quantities. It may taste a little tart, but I sort of like that!
Anyway, here you go – the perfect recipe for a berry beautiful (sorry!) breakfast.
Blackberry & Vanilla Chia Jam
- Makes one large batch of jam
- 4 cups blackberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- Zest one lemon
- Juice one lemon
- 3.5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1.5 tsp vanilla paste
- Pinch salt
- Add the berries to a saucepan, along with a few tablespoons of filtered water, and gently heat, stirring often, until the fruit starts to break down. Stir in the remaining ingredients, adjusting the sweetness if needed, and leave to cool.
- Leave to thicken for a few hours. Then, if you like your jam smooth, give it a quick blitz in the blender. Alternatively, spoon into sealed jam jars once cooled and place in the fridge.
- Use to spread on toast, spoon over porridge, or however you fancy! Eat within a week.