When I was little, my mum would often dig out a mammoth Black Forest Gateaux on special occasions.
Sometimes it would be when guests were over, other times it was for Sunday lunch, or perhaps a glittering, exciting treat for Christmas. A Black Forest was something of an 80s and early 90s classic to pull out, wasn’t it?
Yet, in spite of it not really being in fashion right now, I’ve always had a weak point for black forest flavours. There’s just something so delicious about chocolate and cherries when teamed up, isn’t there?
This simple, healthy shake is secretly packed with greens, yet is my nutritious twist on the Black Forest. A Black Forest Smoothie Shake will satisfy your sweet-toothed cravings, yet still pack in plenty of your 5-a-day.
Combining vegan-friendly, dairy-free ingredients, this is the perfect shake to enjoy mid-afternoon, or as a treat at breakfast or after dinner. To make it more filling, you could add oats, cashews or chia seeds. Just be prepared to adjust the milk quantities!
Black Forest Smoothie Shake
- Serves 1-2
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- 1 1/2 cups almond or coconut milk
- 2-3 tbsp Lucy Bee cacao
- 2 tbsp chocolate protein (I used Rejuvenated, which is a vegan blend)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup OR 2 pitted Medjool dates
- 1/3 cup silken tofu
- 1/2 ripe avocado, pitted and chopped
- Large handful spinach
- 1/4-1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- Pinch salt
- Whipped coconut cream, fresh cherries and homemade raw chocolate, to decorate and top
- Place each of the ingredients into a blender and blitz smooth, adjusting the sweetness or cacao flavouring to taste. Pour into a glass and enjoy.