With the storm here showing no sign of letting up, all I want right now is cosy, comforting, delicious bowls of food.
This vegan Bean, Sausage & Kale Stew is the ultimate bowl food for cold, stormy days.
It is incredible simple to make, full of goodness, packed with plant proteins – and just all round delicious!
The perfect remedy for a wintery day!
Bean, Sausage & Kale Stew
- Serves 4-6
- 12 vegan sausages (I love Sainsbury’s Shroomdogs)
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 1.5 tbsp tomato puree
- Bunch fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp marmite
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tins cannellini beans, drained
- 4 large handfuls kale
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Cook your sausages according to packet instructions. Set aside.
In the meantime, heat some oil in a large pan. Cook the onion, stirring often, for a few minutes. Add in the garlic and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add in the celery, carrots, pepper, tomato puree, thyme and paprika. Stir to combine, then heat until the carrots are beginning to soften, stirring frequently (around 8-10 minutes).
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock, then stir in the marmite and coconut sugar. Bring to the boil, then reduce and allow to cook until beginning to thicken (around 20 minutes). Stir through cooked sausages, kale and cannellini beans and season to taste. Heat through, then serve immediately.