When I first put these muffins onto my Instagram Stories, I received dozens of messages asking to blog the recipe.
I didn’t write the recipe down (this is always the case – when will I learn my lesson?!), and then the second time I tried them, things went disastrously wrong. And the third time, too.
Finally, I managed to recreate them, and finally I’m sharing with you the recipe for these Banana Berry Chocolate Muffins!
They are incredibly easy to make, taste delicious and are great to make ahead of time for speedy breakfasts on the go.
In other words, they are a busy mama’s best friend!
They are vegan (made with my favourite aquafaba), low in unrefined sugars, free from refined sugars and can be made high in fibre, too.
Inside, they are light, fluffy and moist, with that burst of sweetness from the berries. And they seem to keep brilliantly well, too!
I hope your little ones love them as much as my boys!
Banana Berry Chocolate Muffins
- Makes 6 muffins –
- For the wet ingredients:
- One medium, spotty banana
- 3 tbsp melted butter or coconut oil
- 3 tbsp coconut yoghurt
- 3 tbsp aquafaba (chickpea brine)
- 2 tbsp liquid sweetener of choice (I used Sweet Freedom Fruit Syrup)
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- For the dry ingredients –
- 1 cup spelt flour (can use white or wholemeal, or a mixture of both)
- 3 tbsp ground almonds
- 5 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1/2 cup berries of choice
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 180C and line a muffin tray with cases.
- In a blender, blitz together all wet ingredients until smooth. Set aside.
- Gently sift together the dry ingredients until just combined. Pour in the wet mixture and fold together. Do not over-mix, else your muffins will be more like cupcakes! Stir in the chocolate chips and berries. If the muffins seem a little dry (the perfect texture is a soft dollop – the mixture should just fall from the spoon), add a small splash of dairy-free milk.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases, then place in the oven to bake for 18-21 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Allow to cool completely, then enjoy!