Now that we are into the summer, I’m often craving light, summery puddings and desserts. Of course, ice creams will always go down well with me (show me someone who can resist!), but I also love citrusy, zesty tarts.
This Avocado Key Lime Tart has been made in collaboration with Vita Coco, and is the perfect summery dish or treat.
It also happens to be perfect for a healthier treat for Father’s Day, if you’re looking for something to make for your amazing dads this weekend!
Full of flavour and with those delicious kicks of lime, this tart tastes incredible on a summer’s day – and it looks impressive, too! However, it’s also vegan-friendly, Paleo and nut-free, if you use ground tigernuts in the base.
I also added some coconut to the base along with some lime zest because, let’s face it, lime and coconut are a match made in heaven!
Meanwhile, the filling is created using avocados and soaked cashews for a creamy filling in place of cream or coconut, making this tart full of delicious healthy fats, too.
I topped mine with beautiful berries since they are in season, and make the tart look so impressive in such an easy way. Plus, I am a berry addict!
However, you can add whatever you fancy – coconut cream and grated chocolate would also work brilliantly! Or, for simplicity, just slices of lime and some grated chocolate, too.
Anyway, this beautiful tart is the first of many recipes coming your way as I work with the fabulous Vita Coco for the next few months. I hope you enjoy them, and give some of them a go!
And, as always, if you have any ideas for recipes you’d like to see, then comment below or drop me an email!
In the meantime, enjoy this tart, and happy Father’s Day to all the amazing dads out there!
Avocado Key Lime Tart
- Serves 8-10
- For the base –
- 3 cups (approx 300g) ground almonds (or tigernut flour for nut-free)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 5 tbsp Vita Coco coconut oil, melted
- 3-4 tbsp maple syrup or sweetener of choice (to taste)
- Zest one lime
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- For the filling –
- 3 large, ripe avocados, peeled and mashed
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes and drained
- 4-5 tbsp maple syrup, or sweetener of choice (to taste)
- 2-3 tbsp Vita Coco coconut milk
- Juice 3-4 limes (to taste)
- Zest two limes
- Drop lime essential oil (optional)
- To top: fresh berries
- Start by making your base. Preheat the oven to 170C. Stir together all ingredients in a mixing bowl until well combined. Press into a loose-bottomed tart tin (we used a rectangular tin 36cm by 12 cm), pressing the base up the sides, and smooth over with a back of a spoon. Place in the oven to bake for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly golden. Leave aside to cool.
- In the meantime, make your filling by blending all ingredients together until completely smooth. Taste and adjust sweetness / lime flavour as desired.
- Once the tart base has cooled, spoon over the avocado lime mousse filling. Top with berries, then cut into slices and serve immediately.
- N.B Stores in the fridge well, but avocado discolours after a while – this is best served fresh!